Monday, February 22, 2010

Magnolia

If you have been to my house, you might know the tree/house to which this refers: our house was remodeled ten years ago and we lived in the house two doors down (by the cul de sac) and there was a very nice magnolia tree that bloomed in the front yard every spring and left beautiful flowers, with which my sister and I used to pretend to be everything from flower girls to fairies.


Magnolia
Within our yard, some years ago, a tree of flowers stood
Being a tree, desire-free, it only brought us good
We'd climb way up and jump way down, and read beneath its shade
And from its bright magnolias, bouquets we often made

Papa built us a swing there once, but it did not last long
My brother sat, the rope collapsed! The tree, of course, stayed strong
I used to dream of growing tall and climbing to the top
Until I'd reach the highest branch, and then I'd have to stop

One April day, my parents paid a gardener to come
To help the front yard brighten up, let in a bit more sun
"Some orchids here, and lilies there, and there's a guy I know
Who'll cut down your magnolia- that tree just has to go"

And such became, without our say, the great tree's dreadful fate
As when, uncrowned, a king falls down, warned only by "checkmate"
Face-first upon our perfect lawn, that piece of beauty fell
Goodbye great climbs and reading times, goodbye to floral smell

Laid out all nice upon the grass, I fin'ly reached its peak
But I could hardly bear to touch, to see glory so weak
The sun still shines, the grass still grows, the bumble bees still buzz
And in my room, there still can bloom painted magnolias

1 comment:

Adam Joseph Lindgren said...

Amazing. There lies in it your quiet strength...