Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pocket

Lots of love poems lately.
Darn this Kate Nash obsession. So no, this isn't based on a real person. No really, it's not. It's inspired by this. Isn't that cute? I think it's just fabulous :)
The poem has odd rhymes because it was written at 1:30 am. Someday, I might give it a severe case of the edits. As for now... If you want to see normal rhyming go back to February or March... Or December. That works too.

Pocket
Those dark brown eyes, and soccer guys--that's how I think of you
And wishes upon fireflies--dreams never to come true
Beyond your odd no-soul facade, you had something I sought
And somehow I would bring it out--at least, that's what I thought
Between your nonsense talks with friends, I gave you a small gift
Hoping to view the best of you--praying you'd catch my drift
"Please take good care of it" I said, turning to walk away
But you must not have heard, caught up in your too-busy day
And rushing off to get things done, you couldn't know to fret
About the delicate treasure left in your coat pocket
Practice begins, ball hits your shins, you trip but you're just fine
But I see something else get hurt--something that once was mine
Play continues, more dirt, more falls, practice comes to an end
You walk right by, for to you I was never more than friend
You never knew, but to you I'd laid down my sword and shield
Surrend'ring all, I walk alone onto the sandy field
I find it there, though it is bare, stepped on, and torn apart
It's fine, although I'll have you know that was my only heart

No comments: