Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wish

I found this in my folder of poems. It's a bit odd that I would have written this, because I'm not very cynical and don't tend to dwell, but so goes it. I'll write a new poem soon.

Wish

It's funny now how tall I was before you came along
How straight I stood, how well I fit my smile
It's funny since I haven't had good posture for so long
And you won't see me laughing for a while

I never used to wish because I always had a plan
And my well-founded whimsy knew her place
My heart was always dreaming and I whistled as I ran
But all the same I understood the race

And here you came to teach me how to dance and how to sing
Skills that I must have known since infancy
But you, you were so confident you'd change my everything
And me, I was too thrilled to disagree

At each eleven eleven you'd instruct me to wish
So twice a day I'd wish only for you
And now that you are far away and all has gone amiss,
I've learned only that wishes don't come true

What a cynic I've become as days have turned to years
How madly and impossibly alone
How paranoid you've made me as my doubts turned into fears
And I have learned to mistrust the unknown

It's funny now how great I was before you came along
How talented and smart I must have been
It's funny since I haven't felt courageous for so long
But I can find a place to start again

No comments: