Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fallen

I need a better title but for now this is what I've got.
I'm always hesitant to write love poems in the first person because you might confuse the narrator with me, Erin, and that would be quite a disaster. I've tried writing them in third person (see Dew) but usually first makes more sense. In any case, do not think I am my own narrator, I would never say such things :P

Fallen
I said I would not fall for you
You said you'd prove me wrong
But it's easy to see that you fell for me
And I just played along

Those adorable little truffles--
You wanted to make me fat
And to make me think you cared at all,
Lord knows I didn't fall for that

And the butterflies in my stomach,
They must have come out of thin air
Because looking back upon it,
It wasn't you who put them there

And to think you thought I liked you!
You naïve, deluded boy
To think that you could bring me
Any lasting sort of joy

That night we danced together,
And I said you were good
You fell for all my flattery
The way I knew you would

I was madly in love with love
And never, boy, with you
But how I enjoyed watching
For you quite confused the two

Imagine if you'd been right
And I'd been head over heels,
I would have loved to adore you
Just so I'd know how that feels

But you were so happy in my arms,
We both know all too well
That we might have become something--
Thank goodness I never fell!

No comments: