Monday, June 28, 2010

Penguins

I know this looks long but the lines are like 2 words long so calm down.

I was running low on ideas. You knew a poem called "Penguins" would have to start with an excuse like that. I have a nice little file on my computer of incomplete poems and it's growing...
Anyway I asked a friend for inspiration last night and this is what I got.

Penguins
Whoosh
WHOOSH
Antarctic wind

Whoosh
Whooooooooooosh

Silence

Pristine brilliance
And the perfect place
To contemplate
Without distraction
Or interference
Or noise
If only...

BRRRRRRRRRR
No room for thought
~chill~
As a frozen wind WHOOSHes the thoughts right out of me

Whoooooooooosh

Silence

Back home, they say I'm white as snow
Here? My skin is pink
No, not pale pink
Pomegranite pink

It's a little...
C-
C-
C-c-collllllllllld

WHOOSH

Silence

And then

Pit
Pat
Pitter patter
Where?

Silence

P-patter
Do you hear it?
P-pit pat
But where?
How could I miss anything in this
Monochromatic world?

WHOOSH
Maybe that way
Silence
I could just be hearing things

Pitter
Pitter pat pitter pat pitter pat
Over the hill!
Not so flat after all
Little specks of pepper
In this life-sized salt shaker
WHOOSH
And it's really shaking
Powder blowing everywhere
But
In the distance

Patterpatterpatterpatter
Can you hear them?
They don't try to hide
They couldn't if they tried
But, accepting their unique circumstance,
Pit pat

All together
Mammas and babies
And even those rebellious teenagers
Not so rebellious after all
Pittering, pattering
Each with his own set of steps
Of footprints
Each helping his neighbor
...If nomads can have neighbors...

And they come closer
The adorable mascots of millions
Selling earrings, shirts, socks
Mascots of sports teams, publishers, cookies, even tuxedos
Subjects of hundreds of movies
And yet
Pit
Pat
Pit
There they go
A colony of them
Perhaps boastful, certainly proud
Passing nonchalantly
Pitter patter
Pitter patter

Never surprised, never discontented
And though I am numb
Completely comfortable
At peace
With each other
With the snow
With the wind

Whoosh
They pass

Silence

No comments: