Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Park

We started a poetry unit in English this week, starting with Robert Frost
It occurred to me on Thursday to write a poem a day, so I'll be trying to keep that up as long as the unit lasts, perhaps much longer.
I'm enjoying it already— the three top activities I participate in (singing, running, and worshipping) all provide a release from the stresses of everyday life. Poetry is like that too, but instead of getting away from daily life you can express ideas about it in a form that is beautiful and, well, poetic.
This one I wrote on Thursday, after analyzing Frost's well known "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
I realize parts are awkward and, yes, a couple of the rhymes are forced.
Feel free to comment with suggestions

A Park
A week or so ago I found a park
A quiet place, and not too far away
I told myself "this place I ought to mark
So I can come back on a brighter day"

I thought to sit and rest a little while
Beneath an autumn's vibrant maple tree
Watch blithely as the leaves begin to pile
With nobody around to bother me

But skies of grey deterred me and, alas,
I walked right by, so sure that I'd return
In selfishness I let the moment pass
Climate control was never my concern

I'd like to go today, but now it pours
What I would give for last week's overcast
To take a break from my routine of chores
And let life's little momentito last

This rain could fall for months and never cease
The park may flood before I go again
To think I found a world of calm and peace
And rashly thought it so commonplace then

I oughtn't fret about a little cloud
How I regret it now! I'll never boast
That I should be so spoiled and so proud
To miss my chance at what I needed most

No comments: