Saturday, November 21, 2009

Who am I?

This was an assignment in eighth grade; we were asked to express who we were in some form of writing.
In it I reference my years as a dancer, so I should explain that I was an Irish step dancer for four years until running took over my life (only in the best way :D) and I discovered the overuse injuries that resulted in trying to do both.

Who Am I?
Erin the great dancer, she’s such a talented girl
You should see her kick so high and hop and point and twirl
And she looks so professional when her hair’s up in curls
Her smile adds the final touch, she truly is a pearl
People say that I’m so good but really they don’t know
Think I’m something great, in truth I’m just part of the show
Sure I practice hard and do okay, but even so
You’d think someday they’d realize I’ll never be a pro

One beautiful singer with a voice that’s crystal clear
Making music glorious for everyone to hear
Put her to the microphone and she’ll sure get a cheer
That sweet voice could get her far in a singing career
They think I sing oh so well and yet they have no clue
How much practice it takes me to do just what I do
And still I sing so quietly that luckiest are you
If you even get to hear my voice so bright and true

She’s a writer and a very smart, artistic kind
Takes two random ideas and makes them intertwined
And she is so eloquent, her poems so refined
She’s not afraid to say a word; she knows what’s on her mind
Others see that I write often and think I must be great
Assume I’ll have a great career brought to me on a plate
But they will have no tolerance if I am not first rate
And by the time they notice that it might be kind of late

Erin is a great camp partner, she’s experienced a lot
She’s dealt with both the wet and cold as well as dry and hot
And when it comes to backpacking, a novice she is not
When we are boating she’s always the hardest to be caught
When people see I like outdoors, they think I should live there
A rock climber or park ranger out in the open air
They forget how much I loathe animals covered in hair
And just maybe I want to live life sitting in a chair

People try to prove they know me, they point at me and say,
“That’s the girl who ought to do this or that every day”
They think I ought to be myself in one specific way
I ought to find my passion and say, “this is how I’ll stay”
I am an independent girl; I just want to be free
I don’t yet know who I am; I’m still deciding you see
For I cannot label myself nor try to define me
Since I am still discovering just who I want to be

No comments: