Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Past

There is no news today. I sense it'll be an invisible week... but sometimes it's good to have weeks that are just "there." These are the days when I get my thinking done so that I'm prepared to go on autopilot when I need to, and trust me, next week I'll definitely need to. I sang for two hours today, outside of any choirs or formal reasons... I just needed to practice for everything and I did, for two full hours. These are the days I get my practicing done so that I'm prepared to perform very well when I need to, and trust me, with the Christmas season already here and concerts for 3 different choirs this month plus a solo competition in January, I'll definitely need to.
I took a trip today... to my middle school. I haven't been there since probably early 2008 and I'd missed it... well, sort of. Hopefully this poem does justice to my little visit.

Past
I went to an old school today, I've not been there in years
That life seems now so far away--I'm too old, it appears
The halls I once looked forward to, where I knew every face
It's odd to think of it as through, a truly changed place

The kids have so much energy--was I ever that small?
Old teachers try to talk to me, I can't relate at all
The sights and smells of that old spot are still familiar
But just nostalgia--I cannot imagine learning there

The kids I once wished to impress--I don't remember why
Perhaps because they were well dressed... Well they're as gone as I
And no one else cares anymore about our once-friendships
And three full years within those doors, with memories and secrets

I went to my old school today, hoping for times returned
Yet that life seems so far away for all I thought I'd learned
How awkward now, to think of how I wished it all would last
But life moves on, those days are gone, and now I'm glad they've passed

1 comment:

WhoNeedsADisplayName...o_O said...

this is so true...
i loved middle school, but it all seems so distanced from me, especially b/c i switched school districts and rarely talk to my old friends anymore...

i like the last two stanzas most, even though they are saddest in my opinion
the more i read the third stanza, the more i realize how true it is

on a happier note,
i'm so excited for all those concerts! ;P

also, i like [invisible weeks]; i think they're when i actually get the most stuff done...
[track season is usually filled with 10 invisible weeks and then a few important meets, namely bellevue invite and districts]