Saturday, December 5, 2009

Waiting

Advent began a couple days ago. Of course, I didn't realize until mom pointed it out last night, but I was highly disappointed. Usually, there's no chance of me missing something so important to my holiday season, but when it started I was too busy appreciating Amiga's birthday and... Playing frisbee with the cross country team and... Learning Italian arias...
The thing is, advent has never really had a religious significance for me. To me, it's just another symbol that the holiday season has begun, with our big advent calendar in the hall and mini chocolate ones my dad's godmother used to give us each year. Nowadays, my mom scorns the way Christmas has been taken so out of its religious context and turned into a commercial holiday, and advent's significance as an excuse for chocolate is just another example of that, but I don't mind. We don't get chocolate anymore, but I like traditions, and I can appreciate a season of holiday wishes and sugar plum dreams, whether or not it has a religious context
Not that I don't celebrate the aspect of Christmas as a religious holiday, and I do think it's a bit silly when radio stations talk about "the true meaning of christmas" as spreading joy and love (as opposed to getting gifts) when really the true meaning is the birth of Christ and the rest is secondary, but I understand where the radio stations are coming from of course
I think I was going to write a poem about being too busy, but the Taylor Swift one should suffice for now
Last night, as I was studying for four different tests and trying to finish five different long-term assignments that I'd procrastinated on, I had a moment where I stopped working and just... Thought. I kind of do that a lot, which is probably why so much of my work gets put off to begin with.  In my somewhat random, not-so-positive, past-midnight state of mind, I realized just how much time I spend waiting, even if not directly in the form of sitting and doing nothing. Hopefully the poem will speak for itself on the rest...
Also, I want to know what you think of the "rhyme" scheme

Waiting
I'm waiting and waiting and waiting
For something--though I don't know what
Just waiting for this to be over
--whatever it is--to be done

You never would know just to watch me
In class or on runs or at home
I'm writing and running so quickly
As if hurrying to the unknown

And perhaps that is just what I'm doing
Just biding my time while I wait
While I wait for the great unexpected
Would I even know if it came?

When I walk to school it is freezing
And I rush while I wait for the warmth
But class starts and I wait for the next bell
Like impatience could make it seem short

I sit through consecutive lectures
In calculus, english, and gov
And stare at the clock all the while
Confused and just bored when they're tough

I look forward to something greater
But what's there to look forward to?
I know that tomorrow's no different
And I've nothing better to do

Perhaps, though, the hope is not in vain
If it can keep me satisfied
The thought that something might be better
Though I know not what, or what time

No comments: