Sunday, December 27, 2009

Success

People often ask me what I want to be when I grow up. I think I'm just at that age where it's the question to ask. That and "do you have your license?" Well the second one is a pretty straight answer, but the first one? I haven't the slightest notion. I know a lot about what I don't want to be, but crossing items off an infinite list of possibilities doesn't help me much.
We had guests over for Christmas and they were asking me my plans for life, so this is kind of my response to that

Success
They want me to want money
Then I'll have got it right
So I can be successful
And sleep smiling each night

But who defines "successful?"
And why should I please them?
Who makes guidelines for life that
Say what to do, and when?

I don't care how the others
May think or talk or sneer
I'll live by all my own rules
And make my own darn cheer

But how can I be content
With smiles all alone?
True joy is meant for sharing
Now laughing on my own

And it is ofen said that
The truest joy of all
Comes from brightening others
No matter big or small

So in my own self interest
I'll give up cash and fame
And live to make you happy
To win this "success" game

1 comment:

Adam said...

that is why I'm going into music. Sure, its hard to pay the bills (my grandparents biggest problem with it), but it has the capacity to make others happy, to change their lives. And to me, thats the most important thing of all.