Saturday, December 12, 2009

Periwinkle Skies

I really like this one
I don't like the conclusion, because I never do, but the poem is something I can appreciate. We're donne studying Robert Frost in English, but this one seems quite Frost-esque to me.
I didn't wear contacts to practice today and they ended up playing football for 45 minutes, which was really too bad because it would be very difficult to play a ball game with limited vision. While I waited for them to finish so I could run with a friend who was playing, I sat and "watched" and noticed things around me that I otherwise wouldn't have; the odd silhouettes of the trees on the deepening sky, the way birds moved overhead, and the gorgeous sunset. Not that I wouldn't have noticed these before, but I don't think I would have appreciated them nearly as much if I could have seen all the little parts that contributed. Sometimes it's nice to look at the big picture. A teacher at my school (though not one that I have) likes to talk about "getting caught up in minutia" and while details are very important in a lot of life, it's important to let yourself try to stand back and look at things. A day without contacts and clarity gave me the chance to do just that, and it's quite a relief.

Periwinkle Skies
My friend, I should apologize
For the poor status of my eyes
I cannot read that sign ahead
You must read it for me instead
Without contacts I cannot play
Your frisbee or football today
Alas! Your face, too, is unclear
I've misplaced my lenses, I fear

Yet I can see the midday skies
Still crystal clear, to my surprise
Your action scenes I cannot see
But grass and lakes are clear to me
Their vivid hues are beautiful
In great detail or as a whole
It's clear how much there is to find
Even if one is nearly blind

I watch a sparrow whilst it flies
Though I know not its shape nor size
It's just as graceful as it soars
To forests? Or to frothy shores?
I know now just what Monet saw
Color and movement, like Degas
Perhaps I can agree with them
Though all the others may condemn

It's no place for the rich and wise
Beneath the periwinkle skies
With so much in this world to love
Why bother too look up above?
But I know nothing better to
Spend this specific night to do
And why not, just once, give up fret
And sit and watch just one sunset?

I've lost all use of these old eyes
But I can sing you lullabies
Some songs that you will smile to hear
My voice, not sight, is crystal clear
There is no breeze, but quite a chill
The earth and I, we both sit still
And smile, and love the other one
Not minding that the day is done


I watch the moon begin to rise
Knowing I should say my good byes
But I could stay till morning came
And leaving now would be a shame
Perhaps those painters had it right
Vision is nothing in the night
And without details to look for
I love the scenery all the more

2 comments:

folleNicki said...

Wow erin this is really good. It was so rhythmic and lullaby-ic and I like how you had the motif of kinda "missing the forest because of all the trees"

Although I agree about your earlier complaint, you definitely had a lot of "clears." However, it didn't really matter too much anyway.

How long did it take you to write this?

Shanyi said...

Pretttttttttty~