Monday, December 28, 2009

A walk

I really love the idea of break. I woke up today, thought "oh no, it's Wednesday! I have to be up til noon!" and got dressed and ate breakfast in quite a hurry. Fortunately for me, it is actually Monday and I was able to go back to bed until 12:30, when I was so embarrassed at myself for sleeping so much that I forced myself to get up. I love break, though, because I can do whatever I want, whenever I want. Of course I have some homework, but it's not too much and I honestly have not been procrastinating because when you know you can do whatever you want, sometimes editing a music essay or studying poetry for English seems fun (of course, I'm slightly biased towards the studying poetry thing...). Yesterday, I hung out with an old friend who currently lives 2,000 miles away- I met her at a mall that's 4 miles away from my house, but instead of taking the bus there, I walked with my dad. On a normal day, there's no way I would have had the time or motivation to do that, but it's really quite a nice thing to do. I love going on walks, it's freeing and it gives me time to think. Maybe that's what I love about all of break... I can just sit around and think.


A Walk
The window is open, though I don't know why
There's only a small patch of blue in the sky
And the air is so cold, coming in with the breeze
Off the shivering ground and the frostbitten trees

Papa asks me if I'd like to go walk
Is he crazy? I wonder, for I am in shock
That a sane human being would even conceive
Going out in this weather, it seems so naive

But daddy's not kidding and wants me to come
I pray my whole body does not become numb
As I put on two jackets and one winter coat
And put my mp3 and phone in a tote

We pass some bushes as we walk down the street
In August their blackberries were oh so sweet
I'd eat them as I walked to my driving class
Smiling and whistling as I would pass

When I was younger, I would call this "the woods"
And imagine old witches and thieves trading goods
I thought that old thicket of trees wouldn't end
And I'd talk to each bird as if he were my friend

We pass by a memorable church and I sigh
We went there a few times, my mother and I
I never learned just why she disapproved
Dad asks me a question and onward we move

There's the vet's office I like to avoid
It always seems to make my mother annoyed
A new set of bills or diet for the cat
When mom's annoyed, my sister's always a brat...

The middle school where my brother would have gone
If, at the last minute, he hadn't withdrawn
To go to that far away school, what a shame
Daddy points- men playing some confusing game

"Cricket" dad says- that I did not expect
But dad knows so much, I assume he's correct
We pass by a park that is vibrant and quaint
Like something Monet or Pissarro might paint

I want to sit there, although I'm not tired
Just because that small park makes me oh so inspired
But daddy keeps walking and so do I
I notice a little more blue in the sky

My zune plays Vanessa Carlton and I smile
I haven't listened to her in a while
Her music's so honest, so straight from the heart
This is what it means to truly create art

I used to beg to go to that big day care
But not once did mom allow me to go there
The dentist's office- oh it gives me the chills
And I never knew there were so many hills

We walk on a bridge where I drive frequently
I didn't know there were train tracks under me!
You miss so much when you are rushing through
In my own hometown, look what I never knew!

We get to the book store four miles from home
Daddy continues so I am alone
I've never liked bookstores, I go to the mall
I'll wait here two hours with no plans at all

My old friend arrives there eventually
But I've had a fine time just being me
Reflecting on people and places I've missed
But for a small while content just to exist

No comments: