Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Taylor Swift

I should explain.
I do not like Taylor Swift. I get that the personalities celebrities display in front of cameras are completely different from who they are, and I realize I'm nobody to judge anyone else's personality, especially if it is an intentional front (Not that only celebrities put up fronts... my goodness no). I just don't like her music. I'm not a huge fan of country, I don't like the way she sings, I don't like the message in her songs. I owe her a bit of an apology, though, because I also do not ~hate~ her, just her music bugs me, and perhaps I should not title this poem based on that fact. The other thing is that my sister loves Taylor Swift's music, which 1) means I automatically don't like it too much because I have this need to be different from my sister and 2) means that I hear it a lot. A lottttttttttttttttttttttttttt. Because she has speakers and I don't. Really, though, I just hear it a lot and I don't like it. It doesn't ruin my day, but it distracts me when I'm working (or trying to write a poem because... music in the background is already poetry and that makes it very difficult to think) and serves to worsen my mood if I'm having a bad day... which is kind of what this poem is about... kind of...

Taylor Swift
My sister's playing Taylor Swift
And I can't stand the noise
But I won't let it get to me
I'm cool and calm and poised

I have a test in calculus
To study for today
But Quotient Rule has me confused
Study though I may

Mom says I should take out the trash
And get the mail, and weed
"I'd love to, mom, but not right now"
"Oh honey, will you please?"

I have two new Italian songs
And one new Broadway tune
Plus choir pieces I should learn
Well, I'll get on that soon

And some kids in FPS club
Still cannot understand
I'll write them some curriculum
And teach it when I can

My friends are hanging out this week
And I hate saying no
But that's just why I'm overbooked
And hence I cannot go

I've got a gov project to do
And dad wants me to mop
Of course the speech I said I'd write—
No! Everybody stop!

I'd love to do each one of those
But all at once? That's it.
Too many pulls too many ways
And soon I'll have to quit

My sister's playing Taylor Swift
And I just cannot think
Where's the unfettered, smiling me?
For now, only in ink

No comments: